Dating sites worcester deborah ault dating sites
You don't have to be a Nantucketer to enjoy Vintage Nantucket,with its wide range of island lore, from Muskeget's special species of mouse to an excursion to the fragile barrier beach of Coatue, "warm and beckoning in the afternoon sun... This pretty display piece measures 9 3/8 in diameter and is enhanced by a decorative flowered border around the edge. The words "Gay Head Light" are molded on the front of this lighthouse souvenir, and on the bottom Charles W Vanderhoop Keeper Retired (Later pieces did not have this marking.) Keeper Vanderhoop filled this container with the colorful clay sands from the Cliffs at Gay Head, their colorful layers swirled around to form an impressive pattern and corked on the bottom. Still completely intact and with beautiful sand pattern, the container remains one of the more sought after commemorative pieces made by area light keepers. The two structures were soon favored sleeping quarters for the eleven children in the family, who soon nicknamed them Mic and Cyc, for cartoon characters of the time. Green with gold frame has some wear to edges, measures 13 x 15, with original kraft paper on back with period label for "Swain's Art Store, 317 W Front Street, Plainfield, NJ. I believe that this document lists subscribers to erect or to pay for a keeper at one of the first five lights on Nantucket Brant Point c.1740s 1780s. Marked in pencil on frontis page P A Evans Malden, Mass. She was constructed on a wood-sheathed steel frame and equipped with a 12-inch steam chime whistle, and a cluster of four electric lens lanterns mounted in galleries at each mast head. The first lighthouse, a 47-foot octagonal wooden lighthouse was erected on a stone base, along with a wood-frame keeper's house, barn, and oil vault and went into service on November 18, 1799. Coast Guard photo shows great detail of the station including the neatly kept keepers house. Map is quite desirable for framing and is clean and crisp as original. These early coastal maps are most desirable for display and bring a premium, particularly on the Cape and the islands. Author James Claflin combines an extensively researched text with his exquisite collection of vintage photographs, many previously unpublished, to tell the story of this important landmark. .95 and in the harbor as additional aids to vessels approaching the harbor. This is one of the most comprehensive and attractive books ever done on the lighthouses of Nantucket. Lavishly illustrated with striking photography throughout, capturing the unique charm of Nantuckets historic homes, bringing the deftly woven narrative filled with colorful characters and fascinating anecdotes to life. And what a history it is, alive with the dynamic men and women of Nantucket: prolific old Tristram Coffin; Quaker William Rotch, the island's wartime conscience; the shrewd, stubborn Tory, Kezia Coffin; Maria Mitchell, the outspoken astronomer; Captain George Pollard, whose tragedy inspired Moby-Dick, and the island visitor Herman Melville himself. At the close comes a small tempest: with Nantucket and neighboring Martha's Vineyard about to lose their State Representative to reapportionment, there is talk of Secession; but this ""lawyer's dream,"" alas, comes to nought. This piece is quite rare and is one of the more attractive that I have had. To earn additional income, Keeper Vanderhoop and his family produced this clear glass replica of the old Gay Head lighthouse on . Bottom with original cork and added cardboard bottom glued on. Also includes two slightly smaller views of the US Navy Radio Station at Surfside. The buildings were jacked up and placed on a foundation laid for this purpose. Image measures 7 x 9 , the coloring is superb and photo is clean and crisp, matting has darkened a bit from age but is quite clean as well. A wonderful piece of Nantucket memorabilia, a superb Rare early document consists of four pages, one filled out in pencil, measuring 8 x 14 folded. Lightship 66 was built in 1896 to serve on the exposed Nantucket Shoals station. The handsome Gay Head Lighthouse stands in one of the most picturesque locations in New England, atop the 130-foot multicolored clay cliffs at the western shore of Martha's Vineyard . Extremely rare have had only one in twenty five years. Also includes all roads, railway lines, shoals and bars, and much more. Using descriptive text and a variety of vintage images from private as well as museum collections, we get a rare glimpse into the history of the area and the lives of these dedicated government men and women. Lavishly illustrated, Nantucket Lights tells the story of the islands lighthouses and lightships and the men and women who faithfully kept them. Sconsets 1680 house Shanunga, for example, takes its name from the quarter board salvaged from the wreck of a schooner in 1852. Let us know your email address and we will email you monthly as our catalogues are posted. View is clear, close, only light edge and corner wear. View is clean and clear, with only light edge wear. Remnants and reminiscences of this illustrious past can still be found today. (x) This extremely rare view provides great detail as station Keeper, probably Capt. Seen through the lens of Alison Shaw, the lighthouses take on a life of their own caught in the reflection of the water they face, their lights shining against a night sky, their windows ablaze with life. It includes stories about the blind man who skippered it for nearly forty years, the seaplane that struck it in 1937, and the roles it played in the filming of the movie Jaws. Snow is piled to the side and two men are no doubt discussing the rare amount of snow. stereoview looking into the harbor shows the paddle steamers Island Home and River Queen and assorted Catboat sailboats resting at their moorings. In the foreground is a massive 18-foot Sperm Whale jawbone (looks great in a stereoviewer). A greatly detailed view, very good condition, clear, light soiling, light edge wear. The painting is oil on board and measures 8x10 inches. The painting is unsigned but is well done with great use of color and detail. He specialized in reproducing copies of Maritime history, including photos of many ships. He opened a shop on Centre Street, and his photographs rivaled Wyer's in their excellent composition. The third of the 19th century trio of outstanding Nantucket photographers was Harry Platt, a native of Georgia, who came to Nantucket in the late 1880's. As an extra bonus, the publishers went out of their way to print the book on some of the best quality paper weve seen in a long time for a soft cover book. A greatly detailed view, overall clean and clear, only very light foxing, some corner wear.
A third Brant Point Light was paid for by a tax on shipping coming into the area. This unusually clear view bears a fine, close, b/w image of the keepers house with lantern on the roof. Mildred Jewett was born in 1903 and performed her first rescue at eleven years old. A very detailed, pretty piece for your display with beautiful detail. This book is wonderful for research or display - quite nice views, scarce booklet. This extremely rare view provides great detail as station Keeper Capt. This unusual book is written from the point of view of an islander (the authors father served on the neighboring island as a Life Saving Service surfman). The steadfast tower marks a dangerous and heavily traveled passage between the island and mainland known as Devils Bridge. Also contains various other Acts concerning the establishment of Towns and commerce, etc. Close, detailed view of wreckage of the bow of the Warren Sawyer on Surfside Beach. Realizing his vessel was doomed Captain Miller ordered all hands on deck. Yet with all this, the City of Columbus went down with 103 souls. By far the better views of this light that I have yet come across, view includes some out-buildings, the wifes wash on the line and more signs of daily life. .(Mislabeled Nantucket Sankaty Head in early ink. There are very few views in existence of the boatroom at Surfside, and even fewer of the Merriman suit. Within 20 minutes seas were sweeping Seaconnets decks and the smokestack was nearly parallel with the water's surface. With its rocky coast and treacherous shoals, shipwrecks were a common occurrence in nineteenth-century Massachusetts. The night was clear and the route familiar for Captain Schuyler Wright and his experienced crew as they sailed a ship equipped with the latest technology. A full 5 x 8 clear close view shows the light tower and early brick keepers dwelling Victorian visitors enjoy the view from the lantern room. Some occasional light foxing, otherwise quite clean and tight, an excellent copy. Brief interviews with elders and current tribal members offer insight into the tribes remarkable history. There, after a number of unsuccessful attempts to get a shot line aboard the stricken vessel, Keeper Chappell then donned the Merriman life-saving dress and made two valiant attempts to carry a line out to the vessel. Built in 1871 in Brooklyn, NY., The Marthas Vineyard was a 515-ton vessel, 185 feet long, with a 29' beam. By 1789, Congress authorized the maintenance of lighthouses and other aids to navigation at the expense of the United States and by 1795 the light at Brant Point was ceded to the federal government. She is also remembered as the first person to discover the Panamanian freighter Kotor that stranded on the beach the same day the Madaket Coast Guard station closed in 1947. Photo is unusually clear, and measures 4 x 6 on 8 x 10 beveled mount. Mount has one broken corner and some edge wear but does not affect the photo. Attractive piece measures about 1 diameter by 2 high and includes gilded decoration on fluited rim. This suit had been tested by Captain Boyton of the New Jersey Life Saving Service, when he was dropped over the side of a steamer into the Irish sea , in a gale. Privately published in a very limited quantity (only 500 printed), quite difficult to find now. The 2 - story home at #15 was formerly the home of Judge Defriez. On one shack behind him is a quarterboard of the vessel Cornella. Join author William Waterway as he charts the history of the lighthouse from the original wooden tower lit with oil lamps to the rebuilt brick structure that houses the famous Fresnel lens. Superb ornate commemorative dishe bears a detailed full color image of the Edgartown Harbor Light on Marthas Vineyard. Pump suctions clogged repeatedly and distress messages were sent by radio to Newport Naval Station (RI). This clear close view of the paddle steamer Marthas Vineyard docked at Cottage City. The sixth lighthouse was paid for and built by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 1788. Early pre- civil war document details carpentry labor for repairs made at Gay Head Light station. Document is signed by Hebron Wamsley in receipt of payment, and by Charles N. During World War II, she patrolled the beaches in the area and trained German shepherd dogs for patrol duty in all branches of the military. Shown is the tall light tower with curtains drawn in the lantern room, and the adjacent keepers dwelling with laundry on the line blowing in the breeze. This unusual item is quite attractive and bears a fine, close, b/w image of the keepers house with lantern on the roof. The Merriman rubber life-saving suit was an innovation of the time. Merriman, in a bid to help sea-rescue, designed this life preserving suit, which was made from India rubber and was inflatable. Also included are hundreds of rare photographs from private collections. Close, clear view shows great detail of Fair Street from the corner of School Street, looking toward Main Street. Close, clear view shows great detail of a fisherman sitting on the fence in front of his fishing shack. Today, Gay Head Light serves as an iconic symbol of the islands maritime history and attracts visitors from around the world. 58 developed a serious leak in the fire-room compartment.